Skip to main content

20 March 2020

This was the first full week of online teaching, and it was a tad disconcerting. Not being able to see the students, not knowing what materials they had and not overwhelming them were all thoughts floating in my head. From my research over the weekend prior to this week, teachers from across the globe agreed that when setting work it must be remembered that little questions and queries would now cause challenges as they cannot directly ask me. They have to send a message and wait for a response. 

From this week, I learned that when giving the instructions for the work, it must be clear so they understand. Numbered, so they know what has to be submitted and I have to be available in front of my computer to answer any questions. Patience is key as well. Not every student will have good access to the internet and if that is gone then we are left in the dark as to their progress. The principal of the school set up a system that if a student does not submit their work the teacher must email the student first, then if no improvement the class head must be emailed, who will then email the parents of the students. It's good to have this system in place as it helps to structure the entire learning experience and brings back a sense of normality.

The concept behind the lessons planned for this week were to regain a sense of routine again. To try and stick to as normal of the routine as possible. In these uncertain times to have any sense of routine should help to make quarantine easier. Knowing what work to set was a challenge. Not everyone will have access to the same materials at home. Adaptability became the eventual theme of the week, asking students to use materials at home  and their own creativity.

I am still coming to grips with teaching online, I prefer face to face teaching as it is easier to check the progress of the students but also if they understand the task set to them. From the Taoiseach's announcement on the 17th schools will supposedly reopen in April. I've no doubt it will get easier as time progresses, we'll have enough time to perfect it should the Covid 19 crisis last until the end of term.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my PME blog. Within this space, I will reflect on the shadowing period of my teaching practice, which follows me in my preparation towards taking my classes alone. I will discuss workshops that take place in the Crawford College, where I can experience the methods of art making that my pupils will experience, seeing through the eyes of both student and teacher. I will also bring my experience from UCC, in which I will reflect on the teaching methodologies that I will use in my own teaching practice. With this blog, I hope to map my progress of this year, and to show the growth that has occurred in both my artistic and teaching practice through the experiences from UCC and the Crawford College. 

5th March Thursday 2020

17th September 2018

Class: 1Art – 1.2 Time: 09:00 – 11:40          (double period) Date:   17/09/18 School: Coláiste Choilm Mentor: Mary O’ Mahony Pupils entered the class boisterously. My co-operating teacher settled them down by greeting them and by asking for the pupils to bring up their string drawings from the previous class. The pupils then made rubbings from the string drawings. Following the completion of the rubbings they were hung up on the wall. The class gathered around them and discussed the things they noticed about the rubbings. Among the comments made about the rubbings, it was pointed out that the rubbings were different from other drawings that they had done before. It was a good strategy to introduce the students to peer assessment. This acts as a brief introduction to print. It allows them to see where ink would be in a print. The class then moved onto Contour line. The co-operation teacher had a PowerPoint presentation ready w...